Snacks Part 1 (Featuring Nic)
This post will focus on my favorite quick, “on the go” snacks, homemade and prepackaged. I eat snacks multiple times a day and it helps not over eating during meals as portion control is a big part of staying healthy & fit (upcoming post on portion control tips). I used to snack on granola bars, muffins, cookies or banana bread. All delicious and all high in carbs and sugar. This is what I snack on now…
Air-popped popcorn. Again, do it yourself or buy pre-packed from Kernals (just salted only) or even better, gourmet all-natural popcorn from 479º:
I like to make my own popcorn with flavored salt and truffle oil, or lime and chili, or spicy curry, the list is endless. These are some of my favorite sites on making your own flavored salt:
Once you find your favorite salt mixture you will use it a lot! Keeping my tips on snacks in mind, I also put flavored salt on kale chips, zucchini chips, edemame beans & nuts. Check out Part 2 of “Snacks” for a whole variety of easy to make chips.
I love these a couple different ways, steamed or baked with yet again….your favorite flavored salt. I pick up the out-of-shell jumbo pack from Costco. You can find it in the freezer section. Check out this recipe:
This can be bananas and peanut butter, apples and almond butter, rice crackers and hazelnut butter, soy butter (taste like peanut butter but is nut free) and melba toast….any combo you like. I make my own “on the go” grab packs; 1 or 2 tbsps in a Ziplock snack bag. Bite a bottom corner off when your ready and you have your own squeeze pack. You can buy prepackaged squeeze packs, many different brands but I like “Justin’s”. You can find them at your local health food store, running room, or on line at justins.com.
Roasted seaweed has almost no calories and is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Buy snack packs at seasnax.com, or larger packs can be found at Asian markets, or make it yourself. Recipe:
Quick & Ready to Go Snacks
- Guacamole and Jicama slices – Loaded with healthy fats, guac is a great snack. Pair it with Jicama slices (in season now) or whole wheat baked pita chips. You can make your own or Wholly Guacamole snack packs (100 calorie each) from Costco are fantastic!
- Hummus and veggies – You can find Hummus singles at your local grocery store.
- Laughing Cow Cheese or any low fat cheese and celery sticks.
- Cottage Cheese – I like mine with salt and pepper or you can also pair it with fruit of your choice. Low fat cottage cheese comes in personal size four packs. Love these! They are an easy on the go grab pack.
- Peanut M&M’s, opps did I say M&M’s? I meant Peanuts… or just any Nuts– A hand full of nuts is good for you. Ok… and a small handful of peanut M&M’s are ok too.
Side Note: Thought you might like this pic of some boys enjoying some Justin’s Nut Butter Packs